The one credit card every military member should have
If you're in the military and you don't have an American Express Platinum Card yet, you are making a serious mistake. The AMEX Platinum is one of the most sought after cards in the Churning community for a reason-it offers benefits that are a greater value than the $495 annual fee. But here's the crazy part: American Express waives annual fees on all of their credit cards for members of the military. That means that by not applying for the American Express Platinum Card, you are practically throwing away at least $495 a year. On top of the awesome benefits you get no matter what if you get an AMEX Platinum, there are opportunities for you to earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards points throughout the year for as little as a $3,000 initial spend in 3 months. That's enough points for at least 2 domestic round-trip flights, an international flight, or a few days at a solid hotel.
So, let's go over some of the (FREE!) benefits you get as an AMEX Platinum Cardholder in the military:
- Premium airport lounge access (combine this with the USO and you will almost never have to sit around in an uncomfortable airport or waste $13 on a sandwich again)
- $200 Airline Fee Credit (buy food or drinks on the plane for free or buy gift cards if you don't make enough purchases during the year and you might be able to afford another flight)
- Fee Credit for Global Entry (TSA Pre check is already one of your benefits as a military member, so use the credit for Global Entry to stop wasting so much time in customs when you travel internationally)
- Hilton Honors and Starwood Preferred Gold Status (lots of perks when you stay at these hotels, awesome if you're TDY)
- Complimentary Car Rental Memberships (again, awesome if you're TDY because the rental company will automatically upgrade your car for no additional fee)
- BOINGO Airport Wifi membership
- 1 year extended warranty on all purchases made on the card
- Return protection if a store won't accept your return of a purchase made on your card for up to 90 days
- A lot more, especially if you are planning a really fancy trip...
As you can tell, I highly recommend this card. The benefits AMEX offers for military members makes this far and above the best rewards card available. If you don't have one yet and can handle waiting, stay on the lookout for 100,000 Membership Rewards point offers, they tend to come out a few times a year. If you don't want to wait, you can follow this referral link and apply: http://refer.amex.us/CARIBWqjJm?XLINK=MYCP